Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Toughening Up

Today (and yesterday) I learned that I need to be tougher if I ever want to survive in the real adult world. An old lady came into the office today and started crying. She was really, really upset - she wanted to go home, she was in pain, she wanted to see the doctor but had missed him that morning, she was angry at the nurses...it was sort of heart wrenching. I think I was way more horrified than I should have been. Between that and things that happened yesterday, I feel like I'm getting it full in the face that I'm still really just a scared kid inside. I don't know if it's because I'm really naive or just really immature - or both - but I really feel it starkly when I'm faced with certain unpleasant things. I don't know how to ignore them.

On a totally separate note, I spent two hours tonight perusing through a file my parents kept of all my old projects and report cards and just stuff of mine from the day I was born until the present. I really learned a lot about myself. But I think the biggest thing I learned is that I'm pretty smart and way too lazy to the point that it does me an injustice. I also have to mature a lot and realize that if I don't like a teacher, not doing the work to spite her will actually just hurt me, not her. And I have to learn how to be a harder worker. It's unfair to myself if I don't tap in to my own potential. And that's actually true for everyone. Our potentials are there for a reason - to be reached.

0 comments: